Heirloom Tomato, Watermelon and Peach Summer Salad
- 1 small personal watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 peaches, pitted and sliced (your preference of white or yellow)
- 4 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks (mixed varieties of your choice)
- 1/8 cup mint leaves thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup basil leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup verjus (or lemon juice, see chef’s note below)
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut and prep the first three ingredients and set aside
- Combine the verjus, olive oil, basil and mint in a large bowl with a whisk
- Gently toss the watermelon, peaches and tomatoes with the mixture until evenly coated
- Finish with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Dish onto a serving platter and enjoy!
Chef’s Note: Verjus is the pressed juice of unripened wine grapes. While acidic, it has a gentler flavor than vinegar and it is a secret ingredient to our favorite summer dishes such as salads, dressings and mustards.
You can find verjus at your local specialty food stores such as Wholefoods or online. Our favorite brand is Fusion Napa Valley Verjus Blanc on Amazon.com. As an alternative, simply replace this ingredient with fresh squeezed lemon juice.